• I just want to share my joy of finding the solution (unbelievably easy!) with other fat people - that's it.
• Are you overweight? Or even have morbid obesity?
• Have you lost the hope of getting rid of excess weight in this reincarnation?
• There is a way to become slim and healthy in a year or so (maybe, just in a few months).
• The method is free - you don't have to pay for anything at all.
• So, you will not find me suggesting that you buy something.
• I had a bariatric (weight loss) surgery scheduled, but I canceled it.
• Because I found a more natural, efficient, safe and steady method.
• You don't need to exercise or do any sport.
• You don't need to keep a diet (hate that word!).
• You don't need to count calories or calculate the ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
• It's very easy (in contrast to rigorous diets, growing more and more difficult to keep).
• It's easier to do than not to do! This is not a joke - you will understand soon what I mean.
• It's not the stupid advice "simply eat less" which is unrealizable in your current situation.
• You WILL eat less, but naturally, with no effort and zero physical or mental suffering.
• Even if you are very-very obese and do not believe that this can be in reality!
• The method is not promoted by doctors, dieting experts and wellness coaches.
• If they reveal this secret, they will not see you (and your money) anymore.
I began practicing that method in Aug 17, 2017 with weight 326 lbs (148 kg). My goal is 187 lbs (85 kg) - the ideal weight for my height (Body Mass Index = 25). If it will be 200 lbs (90 kg), I will be happy too. Honestly, I will be happy if it will be any two digits... Here is my progress:
|Aug 17 (initially)||326 lbs (148 kg)||-||44|
|Sep 17 (1 m)||295 lbs (134 kg)||31 lbs (14 kg)||40|
|Oct 17 (2 m)||271 lbs (123 kg)||55 lbs (25 kg)||37|
|Nov 17 (3 m)||254 lbs (115 kg)||72 lbs (33 kg)||35|
|Dec 17 (4 m)||243 lbs (110 kg)||83 lbs (38 kg)||33|
|Jan 17 (5 m)||234 lbs (106 kg)||92 lbs (42 kg)||32|
|Feb 17 (6 m)||225 lbs (102 kg)||101 lbs (46 kg)||31|
• It's simply eating only 1 or 2 times per day.
• Fasting is the period between the last meal of one day and the first meal of the next day.
• So, it's not scaring at all: the fasting length is measured in only hours, not days.
• No food is allowed in the fasting period - only drinks with no calories (but NOT only water!).
• After a few days, your body will work in a mode in which hunger will practically disappear.
• But if you will occasionally feel it, here you will be armed with tips and tricks how to remove it quickly without interrupting fast.
• If you eat twice a day (not once), then no snacks are allowed between the meals.
• To start your way to slimness and health, simply remove breakfasts from tomorrow!
INTERNAL MECHANICS - HOW IT WORKS
When you eat food, you give the body relatively large amounts of energy in a short period of time. Part of this energy is burnt, and some is stored in the form of fat for further use. In our body, there are two main energy storage facilities the excess calories, eaten during the day, are sent to: fat and glycogen. First of all, the organism uses glucose (your buns and sweets), which is in the blood after eating. When all the reserves of glucose are exhausted, the organism uses glycogen. When all the reserves of glycogen are exhausted, the organism uses fat. Immediately after eating, fat burning does not occur, because the body is in the regime of retaining fat deposits. The reason for this is simple: why should the body burn fat for energy production, if you have provided that energy in the required quantity and even more? The metabolic state, in which energy is extracted from glucose in the blood (the source of which is the just eaten food), and the excess is deposited as fat, is called glycolysis.
After several hours, the body completes the digestion and absorption of food, and goes into the "post-absorptive" state. The energy obtained from food is over, but the organism must continue to function. What can the body do to meet its energy needs? That's right - it can burn fat. The body cannot function without energy, so now it is forced to go into the fat burning regime to work until the next meal comes. There is a transition from glycolysis to the opposite state, called ketosis: now most of the energy is provided by the cleavage of fats previously accumulated in the body, fatty acids and ketones (aka ketone bodies).
The next picture demonstrates that concept in more scientific details (you can skip it since that knowledge is not mandatory). Please pay attention to glycogen, glucose ("bl gluc"), insulin ("pl ins") and ketones, i.e. ketosis depth ("bl ket"):
As you can see, it takes up to 12 hours to burn all the carbohydrates eaten during the day and stored in the form of glycogen. What does it mean? During the day, almost none of us is emptying the glycogen storage to start burning fat for energy, as we are constantly eating something and snacking - from the moment we wake up until going to sleep. That's why we gain weight.
Insulin plays a very important role in this game
Wikipedia: In glycolysis, higher levels of insulin promote storage of body fat and block release of fat from adipose tissues, while in ketosis, fat reserves are readily released and consumed. For this reason, ketosis is sometimes referred to as the body's "fat burning" mode.
To practice Intermittent Fasting, you do not need to plunge into the abyss of medical knowledge, but the following two facts should be carved in your mind as in a stone:
- Any food intake (even the most insignificant) leads to an insulin spike. The higher the level of insulin, the more fat is stored:
FOOD > INSULIN INCREASING > KETOSIS REDUCTION > FAT STORAGE
- When we do not eat (fast), insulin falls, causing the opposite effect. The spike from the previous meal gradually subsides back down to the background level. The lower the level of insulin, the more the stored fat is burned:
FASTING > INSULIN REDUCTION > KETOSIS INCREASING > FAT BURNING
3 MEALS A DAY (EVEN WITH NO SNACKS) - NOT A GOOD IDEA
The following graph shows the phases of fat accumulation and burning in the usual "classic" 3-meals a day lifestyle - even without snacks between the meals. For the sake of simplicity, the whole process, described above, is called "fat burning" (but, strictly speaking, the first few hours after a meal are just a preparation process for fat burning):
Once you begin to burn fat, the process is almost immediately interrupted by the next meal:
5-6 MEALS A DAY (MAIN MEALS + SNACKS) - VERY HARMFUL PRACTICE
One of the most common myths of "proper nutrition" is that of 5-6 meals a day as the right solution. Ask any doctor, nutritionist or wellness trainer; everybody will repeat this mantra. Well, not even a mantra – it is a truth beyond question! You want to lose some weight, to live a healthy life? Eat every 2-3 hours, and this will presumably melt down extra pounds of your body weight ("You should not skip meals, because that will make your body think its starving and your metabolism will become slow", "In order to keep your metabolism revving, you should eat snacks every once a while", "If you do not eat for a few hours, you feel severe hunger and eat more than you need"). In fact, my friends, eating many times a day in order to speed up your metabolism and slim down is nothing but a myth – an obsolete one.
If you add snacks between the main meals or simply eat 5-6 times a day as all those health specialists suggest, your body is accumulating fat during the whole day. Often, new food comes even before the previous meal has been digested - a non-stop conveyor of building material for your ass!
The fat burning stage is not even reached - you give it no chance to start because you excrete insulin all the time:
2 MEALS A DAY
Well, here we come to the Intermittent Fasting! The most popular and easiest protocol is "16:8". That means: 2 meals during the day must fit into the 8-hour "eating window", and in the remaining 16-hour period of "fasting" only beverages without calories are allowed (water, tea, coffee - anything without milk, cream, sugar and other calories). Those 16 hours are enough to consume glycogen and start burning fat. This is the essence of Intermittent Fasting. So, you simply remove breakfasts, and your new life has begun!
Yes, yes, I know that your doctor says: "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!"... But he/she is simply wrong. Unfortunately this is terrible advice. When you first wake up in the morning, your insulin level is quite low and most people are just starting to enter the fasted state, 12 hours after eating the last meal of the previous day. The worst thing you could do is to eat food, spiking insulin and glucose and immediately shutting off fat-burning. A much better choice would be to push the first meal of your day out at least a few hours, during which you can fully enter the fasted state and burn stored body fat. The VERY WORST would be to eat a high carbohydrate breakfast, spiking insulin and glucose as high as possible; in addition to shutting off fat-burning for likely 12 hours, this will drive as many calories as possible into fat stores as well as providing further reinforcement of the burning of glucose rather than fat. Also, high spikes of insulin and glucose always lead to large drops in glucose a few hours later, which triggers HUNGER (if you want to have hypoglycemia or low blood sugar and ravenous hunger, just eat a breakfast of pure carbohydrates and then wait 2-3 hours to see how you feel: you will be ready to eat the whole world!). Interestingly, many properly fat-adapted people aren't very hungry in the morning and have no problem skipping breakfast.
Now, when you eat twice a day, much more time is devoted to fat burning:
Your "eating window" can be noon to 8PM, 11AM to 7PM, 10AM to 6PM - whatever. When my son started IF, he preferred to skip dinner, but most people feel more comfortable to skip breakfast.
The shorter the "eating window", the better. The logic is simple: since all the "work" is done by the fasting stage, the "eating window" is useless from the viewpoint of weight loss. So, it makes sense to make that window shorter. 8 hours is the maximum allowed, but if you decrease it to 6 hours (the "18:6" protocol), then your efforts will be much more effective, since more time will be dedicated to fat burning. Try the window from noon to 6PM (or from 11AM to 5PM). It's easy: you simply skip breakfast like in "16:8", but eat dinner 2 hours earlier. Even doing that, after the dinner, you don't have enough time to become hungry before going to sleep.
It's even possible to do a 4 hours window ("20:4"). You might say: "How can have 2 meals in 4 hours? I will not be hungry so soon after the first meal!". That's true. However, you can have a snack some time after the meal. You will do that only if you really want to... But the most amazing thing is that you will not want! In fact, I eat additional food after the main meal very rarely - sometimes I gnaw nuts or sunflower/pumpkins seeds while watching a film, but that is an exception, not the rule. In most days, I feel so full after eating my small daily portion, that it's impossible to eat something else. I love seeds very much, so it happens that I intentionally eat an extra small main portion to allow spending time with a film and seeds later on. What I practice, is very similar to "20:4". In the Intermittent Fasting community it is called OMAD -
ONE MEAL A DAY
This option is the most effective variant of IF. Your body turns into a fat burning machine!
Fat is being burned throughout almost the entire day:
There are people who still count calories, trying to be in the deficit (i.e. to consume less calories than they spend) - even on IF. But on OMAD it's meaningless at all. Why? Because it's very difficult (almost impossible) to consume so many calories in one meal, even if you would like to!
BTW (believe or not!), OMAD is much easier than 16:8 since the ketosis is deeper (and absence of feeling of hunger depends on ketosis level).
Using this protocol, the owner of the site omad.info has lost 178.4 lbs (80.9 kg) - from 363.4 lbs (164.8 kg) to 185 lbs (83.9 kg) - in 1 year 3 months (May 2013 to August 2014):
This couple has lost on IF (even not OMAD!): he - 155 lbs (70 kg), she - 80 lbs (36 kg) (here you can watch a video interview with him):
Sumaya Kazi lost 50 pounds (22 kg) in 7 months:
Another example: How I lost over 80 pounds eating one meal a day
Now, it's extremely important to read 2 the following pages:
JUST A FEW EXAMPLES OF WHAT I EAT
What I eat can be briefly described as "the same as before, but without fast carbs and sweeteners, plus I try to eat more fats". However, readers are certainly interested in knowing the details. For this purpose I created a list. If you take into account, that there is no limit to the amount eaten (except of feelings - the body itself signals when it is full), then you should understand, that I don't suffer too much :-). And another important point: now the food seems much tastier than before because I feel its natural taste (and not a distorted taste, caused by "sugar addiction" I used to suffer previously). Honestly, I have never enjoyed food as much as I do now! So, here is the list:
- Meat (beef, lamb, chicken or duck) roast cooked in a brazier with a few garlic heads.
- Baked, roasted, smoked or charqued not-processed meat from deli department (ham, pastrami, prosciutto, gammon, jamon, gigot). "Not-processed" means "not ground", i.e. made of a whole piece - you should clearly see the natural structure of the meet (the muscle fibres) in the ready product. Do not buy sausages, salami and other products made from minced meat - they almost always contain starch, sometimes flour and sugar (and who knows what else). The only exception is raw (intended for cooking in the oven or barbecue) sausages from the organic store, on the packaging of which the nutrition facts are indicated, and among the ingredients there is no sugar (under whatever name including cane juice and cane syrup), flour or starch. They are more expensive than regular sausages, but even so, our overall food costs are now noticeably lower than before since we eat only once a day!
- Chicken or turkey cutlets (only home-made: cutlets, sold in deli departments and restaurants, can contain bread).
- Pork lard (cured slabs of fatback or belly) - smoked, salted, with black pepper or with paprika.
- Fish: different smoked, baked and pan-fried kinds (you should bake and fry fish at home since the ready product from the store or restaurant will surely be with flour); salmon, baked foiled in the oven; salmon, salted in coarse salt in a fridge during one night+day; sprats/sardines, canned in vegetable oil; air-cured (dry) fish (aka "fish jerky"), sold in Chinese and Russian food stores - BTW, it's very tasty with fresh tomatos (almost as tasty as with beer).
- Seafood (crab legs, calamari, octopus, scallop - whatever!). Shrimp and lobster are very tasty fried in butter with garlic or garlic powder!
- Boiled eggs: with a firm yolk (8 minutes of boiling) or with a liquid yolk (2.5 minutes).
- Scrambled eggs - fried on butter, bacon or lard. If on butter, then, sometimes, with fried fresh mushrooms (champignons or portabella) or "rounds" of chopped leeks.
- Cheeses: gauda, mozzarella, feta, brie, camembert, gorgonzolla, cambozolla, stilton, roquefort. Goat mozzarella and feta are very tasty!
- Vegetables: raw, baked in the oven (sprinkled with garlic powder), and as salads. Salads are with oil, sour cream (check ingedients, must be without starch added!), plain yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Oils for dressing salads and frying: MCT, sunflower, olive, coconut, avocado (but not soy, corn or canola!).
- Soups from vegetables and dried mushrooms with sour cream.
- Avocado (a lot!).
- Nuts (mostly walnuts and pecans) and sunflower/pumpkins seeds.
- Pickles (salted / marinated cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and mushrooms).
- Various canned ready salads from eggplants (but rarely because they usually have a small amount of sugar added).
- Coconut flour bread (recipe 1 [but don't add honey!], recipe 2 [but don't add sweetener!]). Since we don't have a loaf pan, my wife bakes them in a capcake pan (muffin baking dish), so we have 12 small breads.
- Chopped radish with sour cream and salt (picture).
- Salad of green vegetables and tomatoes with saulty crushed feta and boiled eggs (firm yolk), and dressed in a cottage cheese.
- Boiled eggs (firm yolk) with red caviar ("Eggs with eggs").
- Quarters of bell pepper, filled with grated mozzarella (usually, goat) with mayonnaise and crushed garlic (picture).
- Eggplant and cauliflower, baked in the oven with garlic powder and sault (sometimes, with some oil).
- Boiled eggs (liquid yolk) with pickled cucumbers.
- Bacon wrapped asparagus in the oven (recipe).
Steak, kebab, shawarma or seafood. As a side dish - salads from fresh vegetables (can be with mayonnaise), mushrooms, hummus and various meals from baked eggplant (including babaganush). Alas, falafel is blacklisted - it contains flour. I immediately tell the waiter not to bring bread and pita, but bring a cheese plate instead, if possible. Also, I ask him/her to make sure that the dishes I order do not have potatoes, pasta or rice (sometimes it's hard to understand from the menu). If I order meat or seafood, then I double-check that they are not fried in flour or breadcrumbs. If some "complex" dishes come with a prohibited product, then I ask to replace it with an additional pile of vegetables or fried mushrooms.
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS OF INTERMITENT FASTING
In addition to losing weight, you will enjoy other benefits of IF - that's why even slim people practice it:
- Unbelievable brain function, mental clarity and good mood (Google). Did you hear about Silicon Valley "biohackers"? It's a community of high tech workers who fast for better brain functioning. BBC: ...on the days that they are not eating, they get more done in the office. They experience an enhanced sense of mental agility and are better able to focus on their work. More and more Silicon Valley executives are using Intermittent Fasting as a means to improve health and boost productivity.
Phil Libin, CEO All Turtles, former CEO Evernote (from his interview to The Guardian):
"There's a mild euphoria. I'm in a much better mood, my focus is better, and there's a constant supply of energy. I just feel a lot healthier. It's helping me be a better CEO. Getting into fasting is definitely one of the top two or three most important things I've done in my life."
- IF helps to improve stress levels and has anti-inflammatory effects on the body. Today, mental chronic stress is one of the most ignored conditions. Host of diseases start to bud from regular stress. Few of the effects of stress on human body are aging, strokes and fatique. Free radicals are the main damaging molecules. They tend to react with our DNA and other important molecules at cellular level, thus, damaging them. Numerous conducted researches have data that conveys about the improved resistance to stress after switching to intermittent fasting.
- IF initiates a process called autophagy, i.e. cells rejuvenation, which prolongs life and prevents cancer. During autophagy, waste is removed from the cell. The cells are broken down and all of the non functional proteins from cells are removed over a period of time. Protection from degenerative diseases becomes possible because of increased rate of autophagy.
Video 1, Video 2, Video 3
What is Autophagy?
The Profound Benefits of Fasting (and Autophagy).
How to Renew Your Body: Fasting and Autophagy.
Scientific research: Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy.
- Talking about cancer:
"...fasting might force a person's body to run on something other than sugar for energy. Cancer cells, might not be able to run on that alternate fuel source, called ketones—potentially starving them out and making them more vulnerable to treatments."
Want More Brain Energy? Try This Diet, Which Could Prevent Alzheimer's, Too
More information about that in Google.
- "Our body organs and tissues work much better when they use ketones as a source of fuel, including the brain, heart and the core of our kidneys. If you ever had a chance to see a heart working in real time, you might have noticed the thick fatty tissue that surrounds it. In fact, heart surgeons get to see this every day. A happy beating heart is one that is surrounded by layers of healthy fat. Both the heart and the brain run at least 25% more efficiently on ketones than on blood sugar. Ketones are the ideal fuel for our bodies unlike glucose – which is damaging, less stable, more excitatory and in fact shortens your life span. Ketones are non-glycating, which is to say, they don’t have a caramelizing ageing effect on your body."
Ketogenic diet - a connection between mitochondria and diet
A BIT MORE DETAILS ABOUT INTERNAL MECHANICS...
If you want to dig deeper into how it works, click the button (but that knowledge is not mandatory to practice IF):
SOUNDS TOO GOOD... SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG HERE...
One can read all the way to this point and think: "They are about to peddle me something like a weight loss online course, or a biologically active dietary supplement...". Well, generally I have nothing against earning extra money... The only problem is that I have nothing to sell you since you don't need to buy anything: eating once or twice a day does not require any supplements, pills, herbs, powders, mixtures, slimming teas, fitness and sports coaches, online courses (this site contains all the basic information needed, and other information is easily googlable), gym tickets and home sports equipment. The only thing you need is... eating once or twice per day! Can I sell you removing one or two meals from your daily schedule? That is why corporations are reluctant to tell the truth, this is why we kept jumping from one wrong method to another for decades, like blind kittens. The hypnotic mindset to "eat often by tiny portions" has harmed life of many, but it is a source of huge profits for the multibillion machine of doctors, pharmacists, dieticians, fitness clubs, healthy life coaches and food production/selling sector:
More detailed explanation of IF (PDF)
IF for beginners (Q&A)
How We Get Fat
Is Your Snack Plotting to Kill You?
Time Dependence of Obesity – Hormonal Obesity
Harvard University-Educated Doctor is an advocate on eating just ONE meal a day
FORUM in reddit.com (OMAD)
The Time Machine Diet: Travel Back to Your Naturally Healthy Energetic Self (very interesting book!)
HVMN - (WeFast) Intermittent Fasting and Metabolic Performance Community (the "biohackers", mentioned above)
Obesity Code Diet (Dr Jason Fung)
The Dr. Jason Fung Fan Club - Fasting Support
Intermittent Fasting - Opinions Welcome!
Intermittent Fasting Open Minded Group
16:8 Intermittent Fasting UK
One Meal A Day IF Lifestyle
OMAD Diet - One Meal a Day Diet
OMAD + Keto diet:
OMAD & KETO 23:1 for weight loss
IF + Keto diet:
Ketogenic Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent Fasting and Keto
IF + LCHF ("Low Carb High Fat") diet:
Intermittent Fasting with LCHF for Health and Weightloss
For women only:
Intermittent Fasting For Women
Intermittent Fasting For Today's Aging Woman Community Group
NOT FOR EVERYONE...
Intermittent Fasting is prohibited or not recommended (see your doctor!) if you are:
- Pregnant or breast feeding.
- A type 1 (or type 2 insulin-dependant) diabetic (Intermittent Fasting can halp and even be very efficient, but don't act without permission and supervision of a doctor who has the expertise in both diabetes and fasting!!!).
- Experiencing chronic stress.
If you have excess weight, then there is a good chance that you are also suffering from a syndrome of Obstructive Sleep Apnea!
Leave feedback in Facebook